CTV

Basketball broadcast good move for all

Back to Article
Back to Article

Basketball broadcast good move for all

Senior guard Alec Daniels is looking for a open man. Trailing by one with 43  seconds left, the Bobcats went on a 6-0 run to secure the comeback.

Senior guard Alec Daniels is looking for a open man. Trailing by one with 43 seconds left, the Bobcats went on a 6-0 run to secure the comeback.

Lauren Hollin

Lauren Hollin

Lauren Hollin

Lauren Hollin, Staff writer

CTV has started a live broadcast for the varsity girls’ and boys’ basketball games in hopes the students will get a feel on how broadcast works.  Broadcasts may expand to further sports in the future.

Airing a basketball broadcast is an excellent idea. This could be a great experience for the students involved and for the players on the court.

Students who take part in the broadcast could use this opportunity to gain experience in their future field. For example, students who film or do commentary on the game would already have an edge on candidates trying to get into college programs linked to ESPN’s SEC Network.

Not only would the broadcast help the students, it would also help the players and coaches. The coaches could use the footage as game tape to watch and point out the flaws and then work to better themselves for the next game. The players could also hear someone else’s take on the game and see it through their perspective. Another plus is, with the webcast, people who don’t live nearby can watch the game. For example, parents who are in the military and don’t have the opportunity to attend games can now watch their children play. Having that chance will allow them to have an even better connection with their child and give that child the comforting feeling that their parent is watching and cheering them on from behind a screen.

Even with all the amazing benefits that come with the broadcast, the fear that lurks in everyone’s mind is that this could affect the number of attendees at the game. Speaking truthfully, this should not be a fear. Basketball games already struggle with fans, so having this broadcast will honestly not affect the number. Besides, nothing beats actually being there, hearing the crowd roar, and feeling the intensity of the players on the court battling for the win.

If this webcast does well it can take off in multiple directions. It can lead to a broadcast for other sports such as soccer, track, baseball or volleyball. This could really benefit the players by making it easier for colleges to find them because college scouts can now just watch the videos and see if they want to look further into that player. And if the program grows, it can be more student lead, which is a really cool experience for the student and will allow them to try new ideas for the broadcast.

CTV should definitely extend its basketball broadcast beyond its early trial runs and start looking into broadcast for other sports as it helps not only players, but students who hope to go into media journalism in their future.