CTV

Save Money, Live LIT-er

Walmart donates $1,000 to Celina ISD after spirit organizations perform at Prosper grand opening

Following performances by the drumline and Las Gatitas at the grand opening of the Prosper Walmart, principal David Wilson accepts giant check of $1,000 from Walmart management.  Wilson said the money will go toward future student activities.

Following performances by the drumline and Las Gatitas at the grand opening of the Prosper Walmart, principal David Wilson accepts giant check of $1,000 from Walmart management. Wilson said the money will go toward future student activities.

Jacob Vaught, Broadcast Director

In the early morning hours with the sun barely peeking over the horizon, a group of students exited the bus and entered the newly constructed brick building with one goal in mind:  Get crazy at Walmart.  

“It was super fun, the Walmart employees are quite lit, which was very unexpected,” Las Gatita member Ellie Lykins said.  “It was so fun just dancing with the Walmart employees, there was this one lady in front of me she was super fun.”

When the drumline and Las Gatitas arrived and went inside the brick-lined building, the Prosper Talonettes were already beginning to dance to their drumline.  

“Nobody knew that the Prosper kids were going to be here so that was a surprise,” Lykins said.  “We didn’t know that there was going to be like a DJ or anything. We didn’t know exactly what it was going to be like.”

Principal David Wilson said he was contacted the previous week by Walmart about the opportunity.  

“It was important for us to make sure that our kids were involved and to make sure that we represented Celina,” Wilson said.  “They told us last week we were going to get $1,000, which is very generous.  But again, we will utilize that for student use and make sure that our students are taken care of.”

According to general manager Matt Rehm, Celina falls into its local target sales area, making the district eligible for donations.  

“We have to judge how the money is going to be best served to help the community and make decisions based upon that,” Rehm said.  “We have a huge community here, Prosper isn’t the only community we have, so there’s going to be Celina customers, Prosper customers, we’ll even have McKinney and Frisco shopping with us in the store.”

With a donation of $1,000 signed by Rehm in the bank, Wilson looks at the opportunity as more than just a contribution.  

“It’s a great thing when businesses like this can come to a community, even though not in Celina,” Wilson said.  “We’re still sister cities and we’re partners and we try to support each other as best we can.”