CTV

FCCLA Sweeps Regionals

Eight students advance to state in the annual competition

Before competing at the regional level, all of the FCCLA members gathered at their hotel to prepare and practice one last time.  Students have to do presentations ranging from portfolios to speeches to posterboards.

Before competing at the regional level, all of the FCCLA members gathered at their hotel to prepare and practice one last time. Students have to do presentations ranging from portfolios to speeches to posterboards.

Peyton Hatcher, Assistant Editor in Chief

After eight students advanced past the regional competition, FCCLA (Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America) will travel to Dallas tomorrow to compete at the state level.

“All of our students that competed were able to advance to state,” FCCLA sponsor Heather Hussong said.  “I’m happy with what we have done and hope to advance further.“

Last year, CHS graduate Berlin Clemens and sophomore Sierra Smith advanced past the state level and were able to win the national competition in Nashville.

“As of now, I’m the only Celina FCCLA member to ever return to a star event and so this year, I was expected to have a better understanding of how the competitions work,” Smith said.    “Even though I agree that because I went to nationals last year I know somewhat what I should expect, having a different project changed everything, and since I’m competing in the senior category instead of the junior category, it raises the level of competition.”

Smith is competing in the Advocacy category, but had a last minute topic change, from advocating for the Ready Set Teach class to Fire Safety awareness.

“I had a lot to do and less than a month to put it together,” Smith said.  “I worked with members of the community, local businesses and the high school to raise awareness for my subject.”

Texas FCCLA is partnering with Aberg Center for Literacy to collect children’s books from FCCLA chapters that compete at state.  The Celina chapter has set up a donation bin outside of Hussong’s classroom for the past week, and will bring all books to Dallas with them tomorrow.

“Thank you to all students who donated books,” Hussong said.  “They will go to help decrease illiteracy throughout Texas.”

Although only two groups were able to advance past the state level last year, the competitors hope that number will increase this year.

“I was so relieved to place first at regionals, because I was terrified of not being able to continue my work on the project, and also because of how personal my topic is to my recent experience,” Smith said.  “I have been so anxious, waiting for state, and now I hope that my hard work will pay off even more.”