Kicking Off A New Era

Boys' Soccer Plays In First Official Season

Sophomore+defender+Trent+Hamblin+dribbles+the+ball+downfield+as+senior+center+midfielder+Kaitlyn+Vana+tries+to+block+him.++Despite+construction+of+a+new+athletic+complex%2C+accommodations+by+construction+workers+have+allowed+the+team+to+practice+on+the+field.++
Back to Article
Back to Article

Kicking Off A New Era

Sophomore defender Trent Hamblin dribbles the ball downfield as senior center midfielder Kaitlyn Vana tries to block him.  Despite construction of a new athletic complex, accommodations by construction workers have allowed the team to practice on the field.

Sophomore defender Trent Hamblin dribbles the ball downfield as senior center midfielder Kaitlyn Vana tries to block him. Despite construction of a new athletic complex, accommodations by construction workers have allowed the team to practice on the field.

James Carroll

James Carroll

James Carroll

James Carroll, Editor

As the result of a scheduling quark created by local construction projects, the boys’ soccer team won’t hit the field at home for first time in school history until Monday, Feb. 11 against Melissa.

After recognizing the recent growth in Celina, athletics director Bill Elliott and superintendent Rick DeMasters came to the school board in May to ask to start an official boys team.

“We were looking at the interest level and [when it would get] to a certain point where we had enough people that could actually participate,” Elliott said. “We finally got to that point, so last year we had a couple parents we sat down with and looked at starting that up.”

The boys are coached by Steve Nichols, who coaches both select soccer and the girls’ soccer team.

“A lot of them may not have been involved in other sports, and had grown up playing soccer locally and had an interest in starting a team,” Nichols said. “That began the process, and [their parents] communicated with administration and were going through that process of what it takes to add on a sport at the UIL varsity level.”

When the girls’ team was created five years ago, it was only a matter of time before a boys team was created.

“Finally having a boys’ soccer team is really cool, it’s amazing,” sophomore defender Trent Hamblin said. “A few people have been wanting it for a while, and we finally got it.”

After officially becoming part of UIL, the team faced it’s first challenge – construction. The boys and girls are compelled to play almost their entire schedule on the road, due to the building of a new stadium.

“With all the construction there, we’re forced to move games away from the home site,” Nichols said. “We didn’t even know whether we would have a home site available to us to play.”

Fortunately, after Bobcat Field was measured and (barely) met UIL standards, Nichols was able to squeeze in four games there.

“Our home district games worked out great,” Nichols said. “We’ll have a senior night there and let our seniors go out there and play out some home games here in celina in front of their family and friends.”

The teams are still able to practice on the old field behind the high school despite the demolition going on thanks to accommodations from the construction crew.

“They’re doing everything around us just to let us play on the field,” midfielder Edoardo Guerini said. “They built a [sidewalk] for us on the muddy area to let us walk on the field.”

Despite this being their first season, the boys have managed to quickly develop a connection over the course of a few games.

“It’s kinda like a family,” Guerini said. “We’re building chemistry, we’re linked with each other, we’re a tight team.

Although Nichols expressed his strong desire for winning, ultimately it isn’t his main focus for the first season.   

“Thirty years from now the majority of these kids won’t remember what games they won or lost, the opponents, or the individual details of every game,” Nichols said. “But what they will remember is the relationships that they built with their teammates, teachers, and coaches that last a lifetime.”